Friday, August 9, 2013

7 Quick Takes: Vol 3. - Getting Settled

Linking up at Conversion Diary 'cause it's fun! 7 Quicks Takes of the first week back in Phoenix! It's been way too hot and time has surprisingly gone fast. Now where's our stuff??

My timeline is uncannily (?) similar again. I moved from Colorado Springs to Phoenix at 32.2 Weeks in 2011. Feels like I had SO MUCH TIME left considering Lincoln arrived at 39.6 weeks. This time I moved from Pinellas Park to Phoenix at 33.2 weeks but I feel like time is going all too fast. At least this time it was MUCH faster getting to see my doctor...
Speaking of trying to see my doctor, I had a run-in with insurance AGAIN. Same thing as last time, Tricare in transition and I need a referral. With Cigna you can self-refer, which is what I ended up doing with Lincoln, but since Joe is still on Active Duty they told me I had to have a new referral... cause obviously being pregnant in the southern region doesn't transfer to the Western region. So off I went to Luke AFB to do the SAME thing I did with Lincoln, and I knew I was going to walk out of there with a piece of paper in my hand so I could go back to my OB that afternoon and actually get seen. I'm an easy person. I was at my OB for 45 minutes trying to get it figured out and they asked me to reschedule for later in the day because they needed the Tricare insurance confirmation FIRST. Ok, I'll take care of it. Anyway, I went to the clinic, signed in, was walked over to Women's Health (not some other clinic, WOMEN's HEALTH), and the nurse who was putting in my referral asked me a question that lead me to answer "Lincoln's still nursing". You should have SEEN the look on her face. "Your doctor didn't tell you to quit?" nope. "Well.... your milk gets tainted... and they don't like the taste anymore" he doesn't mind. "You don't want to deplete your body before the baby comes." of what? Should I start writing down my occupation as Certified Lactation Counselor??! I needed that referral more than I needed a teaching moment, so I acted dumb and followed her only good advice "talk to your doctor." yup, I intend to!
I am the queen of fixing things. Joe helped me over the phone, but I fixed the garbage disposal. Then I fixed the garage door opener. (YAY!) I had the AC in the car fixed ($200 later) (DOUBLE YAY!) and I've cleaned off the patio twice (can I mention how much we didn't think our landscaping through when we had it done and now I want to change it? small rocks+boy+little hands = ROCKS EVERYWHERE!!!!) The only unfortunate thing so far is that Gothic Landscape insists there is no water leak in the backyard. So, we have a $200 a month water bill on a has-been-vacant house with no reason other than 'water is just that expensive out here'. BS. Don't like it. Another reason I want to change our backyard. Bye Bye any kind of real grass or plant that needs water.
I am also the queen of moving heavy furniture. I've managed to build a bed, haul a mattress off my car and into my house for Lincoln to sleep in (me too, it's more comfy than the other bed), and move all the crap out of the other bedroom that will now be Chubby's. I moved a solid 5 drawer tall dresser from that room into Lincoln's room to put his clothes in. I've always moved furniture that I shouldn't be able to. I just wedge myself between the wall and the end and use my legs. Works when you're 7 and works when you're pregnant!!
Chubby is head down. Chubby's heart rate was in the 150's. Joe made me think the envelope was in a box on the truck when in fact the little bugger has it himself!! HE HAS IT! And it sounds like it was almost opened by our young friend Morgan (9 years old? 10??) Way to go. #Notsosafe. #shouldaputitinabox!
Lincoln is sleeping in his bed by himself at night and at nap when I don't fall asleep too. He is taking FOREVER to fall asleep and I know with a big boy bed there will come a point that I can't lay down with him until he falls aleep every night and we'll just have to play the "get back in bed" game until he learns. But, for now it's just too precious to have him lay on my stomach, pat it, say "chub" and then snuggle up under my chin. Last night I fell asleep with him and woke up to his feet in my face. Tonight I did almost leave him to cry himself down beause it's taking an hour of laying with him for him to settle. When the 2 year old is afraid of the toilet, "Potty, poop, big" does not warrant a valid excuse to get out of bed over and over. I was gullible the first time.
Lincoln has started saying "thank you". It sounds more like "tank kou" but it's distinct. He's also very afraid of things that seem "lost" or "trapped". We went to the fountain on Main Street today to play before it got too hot. The water for some reason was ridiculously high and he was terrified of it. He threw a rock into the water and he could still see it on the edge of the drain. He started BAWLING because he couldn't get it without getting into this GIANT spray of cold water. He wanted it back so badly and me telling him it was gone didn't cut it. So I asked him if he wanted me to get it and he says "uh huh, help, please" so of course I go barreling in to get it. Whatever, I brought a towel. I hand it back to him and hug him and he's got it clenched in both hands, bottom lip pouting, and sniffling. I asked him, "Lincoln, can you say 'thank you, mama?'" and he says "tank kou" *sniffle*. The things moms do for their little ones. All for a rock.

Not sure what to do this weekend... Telling myself it will be nice again outside someday seems like total BS even though I know it will be.
For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gracious #2. I thought the nurses at the hospital were going to pass out or puke when they found out I was still nursing #1 when #2 was born!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really didn't think Lincoln would keep going this long. he almost quit a few times before, but I'm sure with all the change going on with our move he finds it comforting. I'm not surprised by people's reactions, but I'm really getting a kick out of stirring the pot and telling them when it comes up. I love (and get fired up about) all the preconceived notions and shock and awe.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...