Friday, August 30, 2013

7 Quick Takes: Vol. 6

When did Friday come so fast?
Last weekend was spent not doing anything productive around the house with my mom here. Don't get me wrong, it was productive and wonderful in the social-emotional sense, just not in the getting-the-house-clean-and-ready-for-baby sense. Toes, dinners, shopping, I needed it all. I'm so so so glad that my mom is now only a 2.5 hour direct flight away. Tickets aren't ridiculously expensive and Alaska and United fly into great terminals at PHX for getting in and out of. I'm so glad to be seeing more of her soon and often.

We went and saw Planes with Lincoln. We chose to go to a before lunch showing and I packed myself all up with snacks and treats and water bottles to keep his hands/mouth busy. Lucky for us, he saw the beginning and the end and fell asleep in the middle. If I had the choice of him not seeing the whole movie, I'm glad it was because he fell asleep and not because he lost it and someone had to leave with him. I couldnt' have asked for a better first movie experience for him. He even was able to tell me the next day what movie he saw yesterday! He loves his Planes blankets and pillows and can almost say "Dusty". I love movies and Joe was really excited by the details they put in there, including the history and the planes' looks and sound effects.


Joe finished his degree program!!! Now, when we first met, Joe and I were driving onto Ramstein Air Base for dinner and he gets really nervous and tells me "I have something to tell you.... just pull over and drop me off here. It's embarassing!!" OMG. JUST TELL ME. WHAT THE HECK?!! "I only have a 2 year degree". Uhhh.... what? that's it? that's your big secret? Jerk got me all worked up over that?! Anyway, as of Wednesday, Joe is FINISHED with his BSN program. YAAAY!!!

"That's what you said last time" may be some famous last words for me. I had my OB appointment yesterday and my first cervical exam. I'm also GBS Neg!!! But, he offered me two options 1. a gentle exam or 2. sweep my membranes to move things along. At 37 weeks!! I fervently shook my head NO and opted for #1. I'm 2cm "thin" and baby is "very low". That's close to what I was last time (1-2/50%/low). He said if I were contracting, I'd be admitable. But I wasn't. He said I would likely not go to my due date. That's what you said last time. Of course then last night I was contracting spontaneously, I was sweaty, and I kept having nerve pains down my legs. Nothing worth timing and totally easy to sleep through, but I'm feeling very relieved that it seems like my body will do things naturally.
My Doctor is awesome. I really liked wearing my Harry Potter shirt and some Rockin' Red lip gloss yesterday.
I laughed so hard inside when my OB complimented me on my shirt and it turned into this conversation:

....
Me: "I told Joe that if he didn't read them, I wouldn't marry him"
Dr. O: "I told my wife something similiar about Lord of the Rings. She said 'we may never get married'"
....

HAHAHA. That proved right there that my doctor is awesome and so is Harry Potter.

 


4 APPLES
3 CARROTS
1 PEACH
1/2 CUCUMBER
2 BIG LEAVES KALE
1 HANDFUL BROCCOLI
=WIN.

Sleep training a toddler is hard work. I had NO problem letting Lincoln cry it out as a baby at 6 months old.  We had moved him from our room into his crib at 4 months and then at 6 I was ready for him to start putting himself to sleep. He really only took a few days and then was like clockwork a 5-minute cryer and done. I think it was all a mental game for me with his nighttime. And after his epic anniversary nap-FAIL I was really really nervous.

I know the routine, we have done the SAME routine since he was 1 month old - just a little more mature now that he's older. I guess I just didn't give him enough credit that he could sleep in a big boy bed by himself and understand what we were asking of him. It's been two nights since we (yes, WE. Joe is hanging on strong too) put our feet down. The first night he never cried but came out of his room 4 times. Last night he did cry and grabbed my arm and pulled on me "mama", but once the door was shut he'd stop. Then he came out a few times and cried again and then stopped. He also knows the tactic of asking for "Dada". He's been sleeping all night since I changed his sound machine to this Graco Sweet Slumber one. My sisters have it and every time we visit we've always slept SO good I wanted to get it. The white noise I think really helps with his room next to the kitchen.


Happy Labor Day weekend!! 

Blog hop over to Jen and check out some other Quick Takes!


For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!



This post contains Amazon Affiliate Links

2 comments:

  1. Congrats to Joe! And good for you for putting your foot down at the doctors office. My doctor wanted to induce me at 39 weeks but I said no way since I was healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Induction sounds dramatic!! I have to admit I've thought about having him do it this coming appointment on the 12th (which will be 39.2) because I'm feeling so ready, but I wonder if I would feel like I didn't give Chubby all the time he/she needed if it worked!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...