Saturday, August 30, 2014

What 4 years of marriage is teaching me (7QT)

wedding 2I'm gonna go for a tripple whammy post on this one. It's "Friday" not anymore, but I had so much school work to do it feels like Friday, so I'm writing about marriage and linking up with Amanda and Jen! BOOM.

1.


On August 28th, Joe and I celebrated 4 years of marriage! WOW. We were married in the Chapel of St. Ignatius at Seattle University. It was a beautiful day. If you want the read the whole story, hop on over and catch up on Our love story.

 

2.


4 years of marriage has taught me that you don't know how you will feel tomorrow, or next month, or next year. I don't mean this in a bad way, but what I mean is that love expresses itself in different ways at different times and marriage has seasons that change and come back around again. Each has something to teach us so that we may grow.

 

3.


Making your vows is a huge leap of faith, vowing to be together for as long as you both shall live. I had no idea my faith would be tested by marriage. I know that when Joe and I first got married, I panicked. I called my mom crying after Joe moved back to the states and I was alone in Germany "What have I done? I'm stuck." I won't say I haven't panicked again at points throughout the last 4 years. I have felt a whole gambit of emotions from "Who are you?" to "How can you love me? I'm not good enough" to "I am happier today than I was the day we met" and "How can 4 years have passed? It seems like yesterday we were just talking..." Really, it does seem like it was just yesterday. And even during those "What have I done?" moments, I recall our vows and the relationship that led up to them, and it's easy to see how we were really kind of meant to be.

 

4.


I have learned that marriage is supposed to make you holy, not happy. I find that when things are difficult, I see God's intent for my own holiness more. Once I embrace what is difficult, the happy follows. Not just bubbly feelings of happiness, but true contented happiness. The biggest challenge for me has been blending our family. I find myself most often struggling with the needs of the others who have to be considered. There's a reason for that too in my marriage - it comes back to becoming more holy, more of an example of Christ's love for us all.

 

5.


Marriage has taught me how wonderful it is to share true self-giving love with someone. Even when called to periods of chastity, the sacrifice shows love.

 

6.


Here's a picture just because:


Wedding1

7.


4 years. 3 states. 2 kids. 1 dog. and 0 regrets.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...