Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Family Vacation 2015: Outer Banks of North Carolina (Part 2)

There is something about vacations where the first few days go so slow and you feel like you have all the time left in the world... and then it's over and you wonder what happened to the days prior. That happened to me. I have no idea what we did and when we did it.

We had a great day driving on the beach to see the wild horses. 4-wheel drive on sand reminds me a lot of some of the rides in at Disneyworld. Both cars got stuck at some point and had to be rescued, but it was still fun to do a new beach and play. Lincoln is obsessed with finding clams and watching them dig under. Tim found a great sharks tooth just walking the beach. I wanted to find one too and I tried! I didn't get anything. It really made me miss Venice, FL. I can't emphasize enough how much fun I think finding sharks teeth is. On our way off the beach we saw three wild horses on the shore. Some of the adults and the older kids got to learn where the saying "hung like a horse" came from.... it's a real thing.

WildHorses

One of the days, Friday maybe, we all fell a bit under the weather. One lovely thing about communal living and long-distance travel is the new exposures to germs. Lots of germs. We all have some weird cough, cold, ick now. I apparently slept on the couch all morning and Joe took an afternoon nap while I played in the pool with the kids. That was the one day I did not go to the beach. It's so nice to be in a pool. It's amazing what no gravity does to a pregnant body. It's also really fun to find baby parts when there are no ab muscles working against you. Everything is so easy to find! One of the days Lincoln crashed too. Not sure if it was the same day.

10358129_10100299893747645_867186574994160544_n

Emi is a no-nap MONSTER on vacation. OMG, she needs to sleep. I just finally accepted that she'll take a 3 hour nap and then not want to go bed without all of us in bed with her much later in the evening than I want her to. There was only one day where she missed her nap and was SO TIRED i got them both in bed early and got to be an adult for the evening. I tried not feel like I was missing out, I know it's a season and there's many years of family vacations ahead where I won't get the time of day from my kids and I'll get to drink all the wine I want and socialize.

DSC_0234

We even got some rain! We got to swing on the front porch swing and just enjoy the cooler weather, the moisture, and the wind. Emi and Lincoln really loved the porch swing. I want one on my future front porch.

11412181_10100300182588805_4665386960266279326_n

Fourth of July was fun because we got to enjoy fireworks from the back porch, which faced the beach, even though fireworks were technically illegal and the city fireworks displays were all the night before. I just wasn't going to go anywhere for fireworks this year and whoever was setting them off from the beach had some serious fireworks. Both kiddos weren't scared and enjoyed watching them.

Familyphoto

Sunday was our last day and we had to drive the 4 hours back to Raleigh, but we stopped at the Wright Brothers National Monument on our way out. Emi is far more obsessed with airplanes than Lincoln. We couldn't stay long, but we went through the visitor's center and walked all the way up to the monument. SOOOO hot. Not as bad as Phoenix, but humid hot is it's own kind of horrible. It was the only day I didn't put on sunscreen and the 30 minutes I was expose was enough to sun kiss my shoulders.

11665381_10100300440526895_467249578352272918_n

The flights home weren't horrible. Lincoln is the official window seat hog and Emi wants to fight him for it now. She's so cute when the plan starts to take off, she panics a little and say, "I'm scared!" and she wraps her arms so tight around Joe and just holds on and snuggles him. She did it the first time on the way there and again on the way home. It's so stinking cute. They were well timed in that we went to Atlanta first, which was a super short flight, and it wasn't late enough for the kids to want to sleep. They were in their pajamas already and the second flight was almost 4 hours. It was dark and they were tired and they did sleep. The hardest part is being pinned in a seat that long holding a sleeping toddler who wants to flip all over the place.

image

We got home around 1 am and the kids woke up at a normal east coast time... waaaaay too early in Phoenix. The only good thing is it's helping me get Emi down for a nap earlier and both of them asleep at night earlier since they were half adjusted already. Hopefully i can keep it like that come pre-school next month since I have to pick Lincoln up at 2:30. Who does pick up at 2:30?!?!? Ugh.

image

Lincoln and Emi loved their cousins so much. Even Emi was starting to say everyone's name by the time we were leaving. It was a blast!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...