Sunday, May 26, 2013

Wagner Weekly: Ed. 5



What a start to the week. Joe took a PT Test at 7am Monday morning, I almost forgot my Baby Doc appointment, and Lincoln told me his first lie.

Me: Lincoln, did you just pee on the floor?
Lincoln: Noo. vrrrooom (as he rolls his truck across the wet streak of pee on the carpet)

Luckily, it was a good week. A SHORT work week!! For us as Army people, it meant a 4-day weekend in celebration of Memorial Day! SWEEET!! We've had so much fun these past few days and it's not over yet!

FYI for Tampa Bay Locals: The Florida Aquarium is offering two free admissions with a valid military ID this weekend (Sat-Mon) and $10 admissions for up to 4 others.

We've been water babies this weekend spending Friday in the Gruber's pool and Saturday at the Gandy Blvd beach. Water Temperature was reported as 84F (absolutely wonderful, in my opinion). It's enough to make me NEVER WANT TO LEAVE!

 


On the other hand, I'm SO READY TO LEAVE! That's one of the really hard things about being in the military. You go somewhere, start liking things, meet good friends, and then leave everything behind. I'm ready to be settled in a forever home. 

Since I like controversy so much, I'm going to document a little bit about my journey into nutrition and what that really means over the course of the next few weeks-months or however long it takes. I honestly never took a nutrition class. It was not required as part of my nursing school, it was considered "integrated" into our Health Assessment classes and I learned absolutely nothing (since anyone who knows me knows I slept through nursing school). So, I have been challenging my bestie Kristen, a vegan eater and Nurse Practitioner, with all sorts of questions as well as watching documentaries and reading a slew of books. When I was 21, my total cholesterol was 222. Last I had it checked I was pregnant with Lincoln and it was 173. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! So, I've watched:


and to say these haven't impacted the way I see food would be a lie. It's got me highly questioning EVERYTHING I have in my pantry, my fridge, and on my plate. It makes me question American Food Culture and what I've been raised to believe about the foods we eat and whether or not anything any documentary or textbook ever says is actually true (since they often say the opposite things).

I'm currently reading:
 
and I have found SO many recipes (which you can also find on www.engine2diet.com) that I'm excited to try. Since I haven't even been interested in meat during this pregnancy, I know my cholesterol is already high (the breakdown of my LDL/HDL is considered "OK" but they're not actually good either), and this is a trend in my family, I'm very excited to find healthier alternatives for the things I love so that I can be around for a LONG time for Lincoln and Chubby. 

I also found a FABULOUS local organic store called Rollin' Oats . I went there looking for some pretty non-traditional things and found EVERYTHING I was looking for. I wish I'd known about this store the whole time we've been here.


Anyway, I started this story so I could share my social experiment experience taking myself to Chipotle and choosing a no-meat, no-dairy lunch. I asked for vegetarian tacos and the girl who started wasn't swayed. That's probably pretty normal. By the time I got to the accessories they asked about cheese and sour cream and when I said 'no thanks, just guacamole and lettuce', they re asked (I say they because there were two people confirming this apparently odd selection of their assembly line options). I just restated guac and lettuce and they passed it on. So that was my first experience ordering "Vegan" from a chain food joint. And the tacos were excellent. I wanted to get them again for the next two nights.
Joe is a chicken-loving man, but he's being very open to trying my healthy concoctions of dairy-free smoothies, sour cream alternatives, and butter and eggless cookies!! I figure he thinks anything that gets me into the kitchen more must be worth supporting for at least however long it lasts :D

 I also started a massive baby clothes reorganizing disaster. I figured even if Chubby is a boy, there are so many clothes Lincoln never wore that I won't put Chubby in either.

Well, for a short week I certainly said a lot. Tomorrow we will be hunting for shark teeth in Venice, FL! I hope we get lucky and get some good ones this time :D

Happy Memorial Day! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...