On March 3, 2014, Detective John Hobbs, a Phoenix Police Officer was shot and killed while attempting to apprehend a suspect with his partner. If you would like to read about the incident read this article.
We were sitting at home when a friend of ours texted Joe asking if he was alright, there had been a shooting. Joe immediately turned on the news to listen and got on the horn to make calls to all the people in the know. Joe's instinct told him the way the news was waiting for more information about the officer in "critical condition" that he had died, but we didn't know who. I took the kids down to the teen room to give Joe some quiet while he was learning more. It wasn't long, maybe about an hour, when Joe came down the hallway in tears. Joe then crawled into bed with the covers over his head - this is how Joe shuts down for a bit. His boss called him, he got out of bed and got in the shower. Then he came out to me and told me, "I'm going to the hospital." with the hope that he was still alive. I got a text message when Joe got to the hospital. "He is dead". My heart sank and I started crying, crying for the family that wasn't mine, but could have been. Many profiles on Facebook turned to this: the thin blue line.
Essentially there are three meanings.
Source: Hamden Police Department
- The thin blue line represents the thin line Police Officers walk daily between life and death.
- The thin blue line represents the police officer role of separating the good from the bad while creating order from chaos.
- The thin blue line on black is a memorial or a connection or memory between Officers killed in the line of Duty and those who continue with their duties in the present.
Source: Hamden Police Department
On Tuesday Joe slept until noon. If you know Joe, he NEVER sleeps late. I met him up at Main Street where we just sat on a bench. Then we sat in a park while Lincoln threw rocks in the fountain. Joe showed me the photo of John released for the news. He looked familiar and Joe reminded me that I had met him. He was here, in my home, in 2012 when Joe was temping to test for FAID and they swung by to pick up some equipment. Joe was trying to go to that same squad and John and Tom were the men grooming him to fit right in. Joe failed the test (so did almost everyone). I only say that because had he not, he might have been there too. He might have been there instead of John…
Joe went back to work on Wednesday. He said it was because he needed to, he couldn't leave his squad a man short (right now there is no keeping squads staffed. They will run short rather than call a man in and pay him overtime) He also said it's because that's what John would have told him to. Get back out there, do your job. It helped to numb the past two days' reality a little, but I made extra sure to tell Joe I loved him and to be safe, to kiss him before he left, and to hug him tight. Throughout the week more details came out about those fatal moments. By the end of the week, we knew John had died protecting his friends. Though mortally wounded and on the ground, John fired multiple rounds at the suspect to save his partner and another squad member.
Monday came. The day of the funeral. Joe had been telling me I'd never see anything like it. The report is that there were approximately 5,000 people there. David and Linda came to take care of the kids. We drove to the precinct early to pick up Joe's assigned car and drove up to one of the gigantic churches - it was like a small college campus! There was an entire parking lot of police cars. To have taken a photo would require a panoramic shot. As we walked into the church, I met many Officers whose names I have heard for 4 years, but never met. As Joe said, it's a sad time but you rejoice in seeing people you haven't seen in years.
About 10 minutes to 10, the music stopped. The church slowly grew quieter and quieter and ultimately silent. We were all sitting there not knowing at what moment it would begin. There's no way to describe the overwhelming sadness the moment the bagpipes are faintly audible and approaching the church. The bagpipes precede the casket covered in an American flag accompanied by an honor guard and those near and dear.
![]() |
| Source: http://www.azcentral.com/ |
Snippets can be viewed via these news sources:
Though I really didn't know John, I know he and Joe were cut from similar cloth. I know that he and Joe were called from the same place to do what very few can or are willing to do. I know that my heart reaches out to his wife, though I do not know her personally, that I might offer up some of my pain that hers might be less.
The pastor read from Romans Chapter 13, Verses 1-5:
Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.
God called forth Law Enforcement Officers to uphold His laws and the laws of man, that the evil in the world would be vanquished, the helpless would be protected, and the good would prevail. It is hard to understand how tragedy like this happens until you truly see that evil and good battle every day and that police officers patrol this fine line, willing to sacrifice themselves to keep the evil at bay so that you and I might never know.
Another thing the pastor said is that life is never more clear than in this moment. And it's true. Through my tears, my sadness, and the overwhelming reality of life's precious nature, I realized I didn't care what logical rationales everyone says about why I shouldn't have any more kids. I knew in that moment that I wasn't done. I looked at Joe, I held his warm hand, and I felt how much I loved him and how much I would want to hold onto all the pieces of him I could if something happened. As we left the church on our way to the burial I told him, "I want another baby."
While we waited in the long line of cars joining the procession, I pumped in the front seat. Poor Emi was home struggling with a bottle and Joe was tempted to race home and rescue her. But we were minimum 50 minutes away anyway and I knew it was important to go so Joe could say his final good-bye. It was a 10 mile procession from the church to the cemetery and is one of the most impressive displays of fraternity imaginable.
![]() |
| photo source: www.azcentral.com |
![]() |
| photo source: www.azcentral.com |
We stood in the sun and waited in silence again for the sound of the bagpipes to guide Det. Hobbs' casket to its final spot. A three-volley salute, taps, a riderless horse with empty boots face backwards, helicopters conduct a flyby missing man formation -all ceremonial honors. His badge (I believe) was raised to the heavens and then tucked into the folded American Flag that had covered his casket. It was presented to his wife and children by Chief Garcia.
![]() |
| Photo Source: www.azcentral.com |
| photo source: www.miamiherald.com |
A final salute. And a final call. Next to the bagpipes, the most difficult sound to hear is all the radios being switched on. It is customary to offer the last call to the dispatcher who directed it.
"This is the last call for Officer John Hobbs, serial number 5624. India 8-20, India 8-20 is 23 (arrived at scene) 200 W Beardsley. India 8-20 is 10-7 (out of service). Good night sir, you will be deeply missed. Rest in peace. Frequency cleared 14-13."
I do not know who it is that made this video, but it shows more than I can express how it was along the procession route as well as some of the other details throughout the day.
I tried to publish this post earlier. It seemed that I had to get it out the same week of the funeral in order to make it relevant or do it justice. But I just couldn't. It was too raw, too overwhelming, too hard to put into words, so I let myself stop so that I could just feel it. Heal. Take a step outside of it and look at it again. 2 months later, there are parts that aren't as clear to me anymore, but I will never forget. Our family will never be the same. From the random moments of overwhelming sadness, to the casual scroll through the cell phone contact list where his number still remains, and the memory of the last time Joe met him at a call on duty... I will always remember that John had a good handshake -the kind of handshake I was told you offer to people and mean it.
End of Watch: 3/3/2014
AZ Central Photo Gallery: http://www.azcentral.com/picture-gallery/news/local/phoenix/2014/03/10/funeral-for-phoenix-detective-john-hobbs/6261747/





What a tragic and sad story. My thoughts and prayers are with you, your family and the family of this fallen officer. I am so grateful for all our law enforcement officers do for us. Thank you for posting been though it was hard for you.
ReplyDeleteThis is a beautiful tribute to honor his memory.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful tribute! My condolences on your loss. Thank you to your husband for doing the job he does and to you, for being the wife he needs! God bless and keep you. You are all in my prayers!
ReplyDelete