[1]
I had my first "Oh $h!t! What do I do?!?!" moment. I was nursing Emi in the bedroom with Lincoln on the couch watching Dinosaur Train. He had his lunch, but nothing concerning on the plate. A few minutes later, I start to hear whining and "Mama… Mama…" I think to myself, "well, he's not choking because he's crying, but that kid better not come in here and wake this baby up. I better get up and see what the problem is." So I break latch and leave Emi crying to head out to the living room and see why Lincoln is crying. Upon my entering the room he says, "Mama, candy up my nose" with his finger dug up his right nostril. You've got to be kidding me!!! So, earlier in the day, I gave Lincoln a lemonhead for peeing in the potty. He put it half consumed in a basket on the couch, which I half noticed and thought nothing else of the rest of the day. Until then. I couldn't see a thing. I, of course, immediately consulted Facebook. I would have just called the pediatrician, but It was SUNDAY. Joe was close to but not quite on his way home from the unit and Emi had JUST fallen asleep for her afternoon nap. I didn't want to wake her up to take them both to the ER and wait forever. I also didn't want to spend $100 for them to tell me that it wasn't there if I could just wait a day and call the pediatrician in the morning to have him just take a quick peek. A friend of mine from high school, who now lives in Glendale while going to medical school at UofA in Phoenix, called me and came over for some assessment/moral support/I-haven't-seen-you-since-2002-no-day-like-today-catching-up. Lincoln kept telling us there was candy up his nose and it was always the right side, but he was playing and laughing, and his passage was unobstructed. He only cried saying, "have candy back!" Seriously, Lincoln, you're not getting another lemon head, ever. We never took him in determining that a lemonhead, being a sugar-based candy and already half consumed, would likely be engulfed in copious nasal fluids and dissolve. This rational was supported by my dad, the ENT. So far, nothing has come of it…. I was also told after that fact that if you blow in their mouth quickly you can often get whatever it is out. I wish I'd know that earlier and I will try it next time *knock on wood there is no next time*
[2]
I got my acceptance to Frontier Nursing University's doctorate program for nurse midwifery. I begin May 19th and I already have 2 pre-courses to finish, tuition to pay, GI bill to figure out, and plane tickets to buy for the on-campus orientation weekend. I applied for part-time study but I think I might talk about just going full-time from the beginning. I'm really excited but I'm also really nervous. I'm nervous about the balance of school and kids, I'm nervous about the responsibility of being a midwife, and I'm nervous about what kind of jobs I can get out there. Phoenix doesn't seem very friendly, but I've already seen a ton of jobs in Seattle and Tampa areas. Or get back on Active Duty. Part of me thinks maybe I'm just crazy, but I know it's the only thing I've ever really wanted to do with a passion. I thought I wanted to be an OB/GYN growing up, but now that I've gone through nursing school and seen the difference between the nursing and the medical models and I've come to realize how "crunchy" I can be, I know midwifery fits me really well. I'm so excited for what I will learn but I know it's going to change our lives dramatically as I go from full-time mom with nights free to blog to full-time student who has to learn how to write a paper again.
[3]
Spring Training is SO FUN! I love Spring Training because it's so much more up close and personal, the tickets are cheap, the weather is amazing, and it's so close to home. Lincoln loved sitting in his chair yelling "GOOD HIT!" He seemed genuinely interested in the game. I hope we make it to a few more before it's over!
[4]
We love the zoo so much that Lincoln talks non-stop about the Animal Zoo. Last week we went on a whim and saw some of the new Safari Park but not enough of it because we missed the lions. But Lincoln wore his tiger shirt by the tigers and we hung out. We were actually still meandering our way out as it closed and had to go under some ropes. Oops. But the funniest thing happened that Lincoln is still talking about weeks later. A peacock jumped up onto a pole and then flew to the ground right in front of him scaring the living daylights out of him. Of course I was only 10 feet away and it flew right between us. He cried and his whole body shook "maaammaaa, peacock scared meeeeeee!!!!". He got over it only to have a duck do the same thing maybe 10 minutes later. The poor kid came home and Voxed Gramma that a peacock scared him at the Animal Zoo and "Lincoln cried." I love the all white peacocks. There are quite a few peacocks and they after closing they're everywhere. There must be some new babies too that I can't wait to go see because I tried to look through the door at the nursery and there was a pack 'n play with a heat lamp and it looked like 2 kittens climbing on each other.
Lincoln decided to start peeing standing up. Not sure where it came from because I never suggested it, but he likes it much better than sitting. He seems so mature lately, I realize he's in his 3rd year and that's where I forget sometimes that he's really only 2, but there's a big difference between the first 1/2 of 2 ad the second 1/2 of 2. Not only that, he and 4-year old Blake had a BLAST all night and it was ridiculous how I saw a little boy that I'd never seen before. He could have been 4 for all I could tell they played so well together. I feel really bad that he hasn't been in social situations like this for so long. In groups he's slow to warm up and he plays by himself- which is normal I know, but one or two kids and he's holding full-sentence conversations and engaging in interactive play! We have our moms groups, but those are organized play dates. Today was the beginnings of what will maybe turn into a babysitting co-op. I started tonight with Blake (4) and Lily(2) at our house and Lincoln and Emi are going to their house tomorrow afternoon. I don't what know what I want to do with myself other than go to evening mass and sit and reflect and spend some time in silence. SILENCE, you guys!! Golden. I can't wait for Chicago next next weekend to see him with Chloe and Sophie. He talks about his friends all the time now and it's so relieving to feel like we really have some here in the neighborhood, finally.
Last weekend we went to the air show at Luke AFB and had a blast! It was heaven for Joe and Lincoln. Joe was so excited to see the new F-35. The stunts some of the planes to makes your heart stop thinking there's no way that isn't falling out of the sky and crashing right now. Lincoln got a commemerative coin that he talks about all the time and he tells me he will "keep it safe". Both kids did great all day long. I gave Emi her 3rd bottle ever and she almost willingly took all of it. We met up with friends and hung out under the big KC10 and C-17 in the shade. Emi loved looking around. Lincoln even got to go inside. We stayed all day and saw the Thunderbirds (AF version of Blue Angels) at the end of the show and it was amazing - the precision of the stunts and formations they do is impressive.
Oh, and I bought Frozen yesterday and I haven't watched it. I seriously thought about watching it alone after the kids were in bed as "me time", but I want to watch it with Joe and Lincoln because it's suppose to be SOOO good. I honestly know NOTHING about the story, I just know I recognized Idina Menzel a mile away the first time I heard Let It Go. I hope we can watch it SOON or I'm going to crack.
For more coherent quick takes, visit Jen at conversion diary!

No comments:
Post a Comment